A Costa Mesa Car Accident Attorney You Can Count On
Our law firm focuses on solutions for your legal issues
Did another driver cause your car accident? Not sure what to do now? Or perhaps the other driver's insurance company is pressuring you to accept a settlement offer before you even know the total cost of your crash? Don't underestimate the complexity of your case. Make sure you have an experienced auto accident lawyer on your side. Make sure you contact the Law Offices of Daniel C. Carlton of Costa Mesa. We can help.
A lifelong resident of Southern California, attorney Carlton has more than 40 years of experience handling such tough cases throughout the area. He knows what evidence to look for and he has the case results to prove it. That's why he has so many testimonials from satisfied clients. Carlton knows how to get the job done right.
Remember, you didn't do anything wrong. You shouldn't have to pay for someone else's mistakes. Our law firm can work with you to hold the driver responsible for your crash accountable for their actions. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies. If they refuse to cooperate, we're prepared to take them to court.
We also understand the urgency of your case. By law in California, you only have a limited amount of time to take legal action after a car accident. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. Once that deadline expires, you miss out on your opportunity to pursue justice.
What do I do after a car accident?
Getting into a car accident can leave you shellshocked and confused about what to do next, which is why you should try to stay as calm and collected as possible. After that, you should:
- See if everybody is OK. If you’re trained to do so, provide first aid to anybody who needs it. Otherwise, call 911 and request an ambulance for anyone that needs emergency medical attention.
- If it’s safe, move your car. You don’t want to cause another collision or impede traffic.
- Report the car accident by calling the police. When the investigating officer arrives, stick to the facts of what happened and be sure to ask how you can get a copy of the official police accident report.
- Exchange information with other drivers. Get their name, address, phone number, insurance information and license plate number. Do not argue about fault or say anything that could be misinterpreted as admitting fault, such as “I’m sorry” or “I didn’t see you.”
- Take pictures of the crash scene. Remember to get detailed images of the damage to every car involved, tire marks, relevant street signs and traffic signals, and any visible injuries. The more detail you can show, the better.
- See a doctor. Even if you don’t have any noticeable pain or symptoms, your adrenaline may be covering up the fact that you are seriously injured. Get checked out by a licensed medical professional within 24 hours of your crash, attend all follow-up appointments, and keep a record of all your visits.
- Notify your insurance company. Let your insurance company know you were in a car accident but try to give them just the facts of what you know. If they pressure you into giving a recording statement, politely decline and refer them to your attorney.
- Get a car accident lawyer. An experienced personal injury attorney can build a strong case on your behalf, negotiate with the insurance company, and represent you in court, if necessary.
How much is my car accident claim worth?
Each car accident is unique, but generally, you can be compensated for:
- Medical expenses including prescriptions, specialist care, and the costs of any necessary ongoing rehabilitation.
- Lost income from missed work and loss of future earning capacity.
- Replacement services (e.g., housework, errands, care for children).
- Pain and suffering.
Personal injury law relies on the concept of negligence – something you’ll need to prove to secure full compensation for your injuries and damages. A personal injury lawyer can help you prove somebody’s else’s negligence caused your accident.
Do I need an attorney after a car accident?
There a several reasons why hiring a car accident attorney after a crash makes sense, including:
- The at-fault driver denies doing anything wrong.
- The driver who caused the accident blames you for causing the crash.
- Witnesses side with the at-faut driver and are saying the accident was your fault.
- You are getting sued by the other driver.
- The insurance company makes you a lowball settlement offer and you're not sure what to do.
- The insurance company denies your claim.
- A manufacturing defect caused your car accident and you need to take legal action.
- The driver who caused your accident has no insurance.
What can a car accident lawyer do for me?
With so much at stake after your car accident, it's critical that you have an experienced lawyer on your side. A car accident attorney can help you in many different ways, including:
- Conducting an independent, in-depth investigation into your accident.
- Helping you fill out all the paperwork correctly and in a timely manner.
- Negotiating with the insurance company for the best possible settlement offer.
- Taking the insurance company to court if they refuse to cooperate.
Don't take chances with your future. Take action. Talk to Dan Carlton and find out what he can do for you.
What makes car accidents so complicated?
Southern California is famous for its vast network of freeways and bumper-to-bumper traffic. Unfortunately, all that traffic often means many serious motor vehicle accidents. Most accidents happen because drivers make careless or reckless choices. They may have been drinking and driving or texting while behind the wheel. Maybe they were speeding and weaving in between cars when they caused your collision.
Your case might seem straightforward. You might even wonder if you even need a lawyer after your crash. Someone clearly caused your accident. The police and insurance companies are investigating everything. Sounds simple, right?
Don't be so sure. Sometimes, the driver flees the scene of the crash, leaving you with the mess of a hit-and-run accident. Other times, the driver doesn't have enough insurance to cover the cost of your collision. Maybe the driver denies doing anything wrong. They might even try to blame you for causing the collision.
Never assume everything will go as planned. Even the most straightforward car accident claims can quickly spiral out of control. If you don't take steps to protect your rights, you might not get the financial compensation you deserve. That's why it's critical that you have an experienced car accident lawyer on your side who knows how to win such tough cases.
Insurance companies and car accidents
Negligence is a legal term that refers to who's at fault. This is critical when it comes to determining financial compensation for car accidents. The at-fault driver is responsible for compensating injury victims. That's why insurance companies spend so much time and money investigating accident claims.
Insurance companies often do everything they can to prove that their policy holder is not to blame. Often, they send investigators to the scene of an accident almost immediately after it happened. They're there because they're searching for any piece of evidence they can use to justify denying your accident claim.
Why do insurance companies do this? Because there's often a lot of money at stake after a serious car accident. When you add up all your accident-related expenses (medical bills, lost wages, lost future income, etc.) the total bill can be thousands or even millions of dollars.
With so much money on the line, it's critical that you have a lawyer who's not afraid to take on insurance companies and fight for compensation you deserve. Insurance companies don't intimidate us. We know how to take them on and win. We can help you build a strong legal case that illustrates exactly what happened and why you should be compensated.
Carlton gets it. Get Carlton on your side
Dan Carlton knows. He understands how frustrating it can be if you suddenly have a serious injury due to an auto accident caused by another driver. Suddenly, you can't work. You can't do many of the things you take for granted. Meanwhile, your medical expenses can add up fast and all your regular bills keep coming in.
We can work with you to build the strongest possible legal case. We do this by finding the facts that matter. Often, this involves analyzing accident reports. We also often track down witnesses, visit the scene of the crash and consult with accident reconstruction experts. Whatever it takes to undercover the truth, you can count on Dan Carlton to do it.
Car accidents are serious business. We take them seriously right from the start. Discover what a dedicated, Orange County car accident lawyer can do for you. Contact our law firm and get the attention you deserve. Call (949) 757-0707 or contact us online to schedule your free case evaluation today. Your case matters here.